Friday, January 30, 2015

Farm "livi'n" is the life... for ME?

Farm life (not to be confused with it's distant cousin of the same last name, "Thug") is no joke. You get up when the rooster crows, or your 4 year old beats him to it. And you work. You work until it's done. There are no set hours. No holidays, sick days, or "I'm just not feeling it to-days". You have animals and plants depending on you. End of story. Not unlike motherhood, which is perhaps why I felt suited to tackle this challenge.

Not that I deem my "mommy strength" to be any more, or any less for that matter, than ANYONE else's. Just that, it fits the same bill. Both were something I had NO UTTER IDEA of how to really "do" much less be good at. And, in the mommy instance, I had survived it, (and so had my son) at least up until this point, so maybe, just maybe, I could handle a farm?

Somewhere in my 'Hippy-ish' perfect-magic-rainbow-unicorn-who-perhaps-also-flew-and-pooped-out-flowers-world, I had decided that animals wouldn't be as demanding, selfish, argumentative, stubborn or as loud as people can be. And would most definitely NOT require as much work. So, I got em'. Random lots of "em". And I loved it... but the most important part was that my son LOVED IT. And even if I had been wrong, in at least this instance, all actually WAS right with the world.

Things could not have been better. I'm gonna let you in on a little secret... My husband is ex-mil, and now a helicopter pilot who flies powerlines. All over the US. Maybe click the link. Then let's chat. He is seldom at home and with his demandingly erratic schedule, when he is home, we are never quite sure when he's going to get called back to work. Much like the military, but without set leave. He has been known to be gone for the likes of 45 days at a time. And both our families live elsewhere. His in Scotland, and mine in VA. SO, basically that leaves me and "wee man" doing life together. All day everyday (nights too) even bathroom "time" is not safe. It's been challenging to say the least. As I am sure you can imagine. However, starting this farm, has been the BEST thing in the world for both of us. For ALL of us really.

For example, my son has learned, (and has become quite good at) herding goats. Which made me wonder when the last time that was considered a completely "normal occurrence" here in the US. Now granted, I have "leash trained" my ladies. In fact it is not uncommon to see me walking them up and down our road (hence the name The Tethered Goat). However, there is a time for "leash" and a time to graze (did anyone else find themselves humming that one tune by the Byrds?" Just me? Anyway, I digress. There is just something simplistic and magically awesome (and oddly patriotic) about watching a 4 year old lead his goats to safety. All on his very own.

Earlier today, someone hit the nail on the head so to speak with a comment that they made. A friend had stopped by to pick up some honey this after noon and it just so happened that I had a batch of fresh jam simmering on the stove. She admitted that she had never made jam, which got us talking about how   its ingredients consisted of only local organic fruits (minus the organic granny smith apple) and our honey. Her eyes widened, and, her response couldn't have been more perfect, "Wow, things used to be so simple!" And on so so many levels, she was so incredibly right.

We (both as a country AND a family) went from simple to instant gratification, like Dorothy went From Kansas to Oz. Minus the flying monkeys thankfully. Well, at least for now (give Apple a day or two). Anyway, not only has this new venture afforded us a purpose and something that "passes the time" while Daddy is away. But it has brought us closer. Both to each other and to what I think life was truly intended to be like. The "hard" pales in comparison to the "reward". And if you ask me how I know? I can see it everyday on my son's face. I sure hope he can see it on mine as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment