Friday, March 13, 2015

say CHEEEEEEEESE!

Well, as per usual, a lot has gone on since last we spoke. I feel as if I've said this before, but as my mother once pointed out, "you miss a day in the life of you, you miss an entire chapter in your book." There is a lot of truth to that statement.

Both of the baby boy goats (bucklings) were sold pretty much immediately and are now living luxuriously pampered lives at their new abodes. I am told that 1 even sleeps in bed with it's owner's son. The only way the other can top that is if he were being paraded around in Paris Hilton's handbag. At any rate, they seem to both be doing amazingly well.

We made yet another new addition to our herd in the form of a new baby boy who will from here on out be everyone's "baby-daddy" with no need to ever go on Maury. Inbreeding was NEVER an option, so we "out sourced" lol. We bought another ADGA registered blue eyed, "CUTE-ling" from an amazing farm nearby. Apparently "Tucker"is from award winning pedigree milk lines, but they had me at buckling that isn't related to any of your goats. 

So, with both of Eve's babies out of the way, and Story and Page doing wonderfully... Let the milking commence! And it did. And whilst there have been trials and tribulations, I think I can confidently say that it is going well. The thing about Nigerian dwarf goats is, they are DWARF goats in every single aspect of the word. They do not produce an over abundance of milk. Why would they need to? Worst case scenario, they end up having to feed 2 (instead of 1) micro-babies. However, I am almost positive that the term, "Quality not Quantity" was invented by Nigerian Dwarf goat herders.

I have had the pleasure of tasting the milk "warm" meaning straight after the milking (no teat suckling for me) and then also after it has been cooled and allowed to cream. And, suddenly I hated the government. C'mon, not really! Well, maybe just a little. Because somehow we as a culture have been so heavily guarded against THIS. This very thing, that we don't even have a remote clue as to why, or what we're even missing. Ok, back to not being a hippie. I had milk, and it was now finally time to get to do what I was so most excited about. MAKING CHEESE!

And that is exactly what is happening RIGHT THIS SECOND. I am watching it form, ripen, this very instant, as we speak. To break it down a bit better, my 4 year old son and I milked our goats together (he's a pro) yesterday and today, AND, it went from a simple bucket, to a hanging cheese cloth in a matter of hours. Speaking only for me, WOW.

I think I am still in shock that not only do I own goats.. but, I have milk? And, then as it turns out that milk, it makes cheese.(right?) Like, Cheeeese. Cheese. Milk makes it. I have goats, they make milk, I help make cheese. Sorry. But I am still astoundedly in awe.

With that being said, I will of course undoubtedly keep you posted as to how this new venture goes. And, if all goes well, I just might try my hand at goat's milk ice cream...








No comments:

Post a Comment